5 Things: 90-Mile Yard Sale, Triathlon
Here are the things you need to know before heading out the door on June 3.
1. Weather. Sunny skies are in for the morning, with scattered showers and thunderstorms developing in the afternoon, according The Weather Channel Going into tonight,. High temp is near 94 degrees, with winds at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain is 40 percent, a stray thunderstorm is possible through the evening, with partly cloudy skies and a low around 68 degrees.
2. In case you missed it. Get Out: Stroller Fitness, Outdoor Movie and More: The weather this weekend is going to be hot, with temperatures in the low to mid 90s. It may not be the best idea to spend a lot of time outside during the day this weekend, but if you do, slather yourself in sunscreen to keep the UV rays at bay.
People Ask, Hinojosa Answers: The Cobb County School District’s sole finalist for superintendent, Michael Hinojosa, met the media and public with answers and handshakes at Sprayberry High School on Wednesday afternoon.
3. Happening. Dixie Highway Annual Yard Sale June 3-5: The 90-mile yard sale organized by the Georgia Dixie Highway Association stretches down North Georgia from Ringgold, Tunnel Hill, Rocky Face, Dalton, Resaca, Calhoun, Adairsville, Cassville, Cartersville, Emerson, Acworth, Kennesaw, and Marietta. Originally created as an avenue to promote the historic driving tour along Old Highway 41, it has flourished in an opportunity for each community to showcase their hidden treasures. This year the Dixie Highway Yard Sale runs from today through Sunday. Be sure to stop downtown to check out the Historic Downtown Acworth Merchants sidewalk sales and specials. For more information please visit www.dixiehighway.org or call 770-974-3112.
The PT Solutions Allatoona Triathlon will be held on Sunday, June 5 at Dallas Landing Park with race starting at 7:30 a.m. This inaugural race is great for veterans and beginners alike. The swim is inviting for the novice swimmer because the course will be very calm and reasonably short at 500 meters. The bike course is an 18 mile loop with a mix of fast, flat sections and a couple small, rolling hills along the course. Finally, participants will finish with a 5K run. The run is filled with rolling hills and cheering spectators that will deliver you to the finish line. Visit www.ptssports.com/pt-solutions-allatoona-triathalon for more information.
4. Ahead on Acworth Patch. Looking for a job? Our job column Hiring Now runs daily instead of weekly. Find the latest local job leads, coming up at 10 a.m. Keep up with what's making news in your town and surrounding communities by tuning in to the Patch Daily PatchCast at 6 p.m. weekdays.
5. What about June 3. On June 3, 1916, the National Defense Act was signed into law, increasing the size of the United States National Guard by 450,000 men. On this day in 1965, Gemini 4, the first multi-day space mission by a NASA, was launched. Crew member Ed White performed the first American spacewalk.