2011 Turkey Chase Registration Begins
Here are the things you need to know before starting the day on Oct. 17.
1. Weather. Sunny weather's in today, with a high near 84 and calm wind around 5 mph, according to the National Weather Service. Partly cloudy skies and a low around 55 are in the forecast for tonight.
2. In case you missed it. NCCS Falls Short In Gainesville: The Eagles fell behind early against Lakeview Academy and lost 49-22.
Week in Review: Oct. 9-15: Missed a headline? Find all the highlights in a weekly recap.
3. Happening. Third Annual Turkey Chase 5K Fun Run & 2K Walk: You might think it's too early to talk turkey, but registration has begun for the City of Acworth Third Annual Turkey Chase 5K Fun Run and 2K Walk. The event will take place on Saturday, Nov. 19 on Main Street in historic Downtown Acworth. The 5K will start at 9 a.m., the 2K Walk at 9:15 a.m. and the "Little Pilgrim" Trot will take place at 10 a.m.
Register before noon on Nov. 16, and you are guaranteed your long sleeve Acworth Turkey Chase t-shirt. Visit the Acworth Parks and Recreation Department website for more information.
4. Ahead on Acworth Patch. Keep up with the news in your town and surrounding communities by tuning into today's PatchCast at 6 p.m.
5. What about Oct. 17. On Oct. 17, 1979, Mother Teresa was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for her work with the poor in Calcutta, India. On this day in 1989, a 7.1-magnitude earthquake in San Francisco killed 67 and injured more than 3,000.