Acworth General and Special Elections
Here are the things you need to know before starting the day on Oct. 4.
1. Weather. Sunny weather is in, with a high near 78 and calm wind around 5 mph, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight is expected to be mostly clear, with a low around 44.
2. In case you missed it. Marion Foundation Seeks Hope for the Hopeless: Acworth resident Kim Layton needs volunteers and funding to continue her mission.
3. Happening. The City of Acworth will hold a general election on Tuesday, Nov. 8, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Roberts School, 4861 School Street for Alderman Post 3 Bob Weatherford (incumbent) and Brett North are the candidates for Alderman Post 3.
Additionally, there will be a Special Election referendum from 12:30 p.m. and 11:30 p.m on the Nov. 8 ballot for qualified voters to determine whether to allow Sunday package sales of alcohol (malt beverages, wine and distilled spirits) by retailers within the city limits of Acworth.
4. Ahead on Acworth Patch. Keep up with the news in your town and surrounding communities by tuning into today's PatchCast at 6 p.m.
5. What about Oct. 4. On Oct. 4, 1957, the Soviet Union launched the first artificial satellite, Sputnik, into orbit around the earth, ushering in the Space Age and Space Race.