Book Fair at Pickett's Mill Elementary
Here are the things you should know before heading out the door Mar. 3.
1. Weather. Today is expected to be mostly sunny with a high temp near 67 degrees and east wind between 5 and 15 mph, according to the National Weather Service. Gusts can be as high as 25 mph. Going into tonight, there will be a 20 percent chance of showers after 1 a.m. with a low temp around 45 degrees and east wind around 10 mph. Precipitation is in the forecast for Friday as well, and temperatures are expected to drop more than 10 degrees, according to the NWS.
2. In case you missed it. Video: Citizens Police Academy Kicks Off－The 11th Annual Citizens Police Academy kicked off last night at the Acworth Police Department, with more than 40 local residents from Acworth and surrounding communities as well as city employees showed up for the opening session. The Citizens Police Academy has been the Acworth Police Department's effort to reach out to the community, and educate the public about the department as well as the criminal justice system in general.
3. Happening now. Pickett's Mill Elementary School is holding a Scholastic Book Fair this week. The theme is Book Fair Carnival, suggesting that reading can be as entertaining as a carnival midway. The book fair runs through Friday, Mar. 4, and shopping times are 7:15 a.m.-5:30 p.m. today and 7:15 a.m.-noon Friday.
4. Ahead on Acworth Patch. Looking for fun things to do this weekend? Check out our weekly weekend planner Get Out at 10 a.m. for ideas and suggestions.
It's still not too late to celebrate the Read Across America Day! In this week's Patch Picks, several local librarians offer their recommendations for great children’s books. You will be able to find today's Patch Picks with a list of five great reads at 3 p.m. today.
5. What about Mar. 3. On this date in 1931, the United States officially adopted The Star-Spangled Banner as the national anthem.