Pickett’s Mill Kicks Off Leadership Day
Here are the things you need to know on Jan. 27.
There's a 30 percent chance of showers this morning, otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, according to the National Weather Service. High temperature is near 58, with wind between 10 and 15 mph and gusts as high as 20 mph. Tonight is expected to be mostly clear, with a low around 34.
- Allatoona's Head Coach Markus Hood Celebrates 200th Win: The Buccaneers celebrated a milestone achievement of their basketball head coach Markus Hood.
- GA Workforce Panel: Collaboration Key: The panel met at Chattahoochee Technical College to discuss workforce development, training and WIA funding in Georgia.
- Cobb Jobless Rate Rises, But ...: More county residents went to work in December, and total employment increased by nearly 7,400 people in 2011.
Pickett’s Mill Elementary is kicking off its Leadership Day at 8:30 a.m. today. The children hosting leaders from the community throughout the day, including the Mayor Tommy Allegood, Cobb Superintendent Michael Hinojosa, and many others.
Pickett’s Mill has adopted a model called “The Leader in Me,” by Franklin Covey. The school is the only Cobb County school involved in this movement, and is working towards the prestigious Lighthouse School status. The leadership model teaches children the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and empowers them to take responsibility for their decisions and their learning through building leadership skills.
This Day in History
- Jan. 27, 1880: Thomas Edison was granted a patent for his incandescent light.
- Jan. 27, 1973: Vietnam War peace accords were signed in Paris.