The Weekender: Durham Middle School Foundation Kick-Off; Touch-A-Truck
Get up-close with larger-than-life trucks, heavy construction and public safety equipment, cool cars, specialty vehicles, and a flying machine; see "Beauty and the Beast" or "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" on Marietta Square; and more.
- When: Saturday, March 16, 7 p.m.
- Where: Henry's Uptown, 4835 N Main St, Acworth, GA
- What: This inaugural event and silent auction is to introduce the community to the newly formed Durham Middle School Foundation and raise funds. The Foundation is a non-profit that provides financial assistance to the school. The event includes food by Henry's with a cash bar and music by The Parrot Island Bank, a Jimmy Buffet tribute band.
- Call 404-791-5072 for your tickets.
- Cost: $25 prior to the event; $30.00 at the door.
- When: Saturday, March 16, 10 a.m.
- Where: 2828 Cherokee St NW, Kennesaw
- What: Get up-close and personal with larger-than-life trucks, heavy construction and public safety equipment, cool cars, specialty vehicles, and even a flying machine. Over 40 vehicles will be on display, along with a variety of other children's activities. Food and beverages will be available for purchase.
- Cost: Free
- When: Friday, March 15, 7 p.m.
- Where: Former Theatre in the Square, 11 Whitlock Ave SW, Marietta
- What: Young Actors Playhouse (YAP) presents the musical Beauty and the Beast. It tells the classic story of Belle, a young woman, and the Beast, who is really a young prince trapped in a spell placed by an enchantress. If the Beast can learn to love and be loved, the curse will end and he will be transformed to his former self.
- Cost: $15
- When: Friday, March 15, 8 p.m.
- Where: The Alley Stage, 11 Anderson St SE, Marietta, GA
- What: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest pits Randle Patrick McMurphy (a convict who has feigned psychosis so that he can spend the final months of his sentence at a mental institution) against Nurse Ratched (the icy head nurse of the ward), who believes that rules must be followed without exception. A band of crazies gets half-inspired, half destroyed by McMurphy’s rebellion and the question remains…was it worth it anyway?
- Cost: $15
- When: Saturday, March 16, All day
- Where: Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area, Paces Mill, 3444 Cobb Pkwy SE, Atlanta, GA
- What: The River Line Historic Area’s Roberta Cook along with Mike Shaffer of the Kennesaw State University Civil War Center, will host tours of Shoupade Park. Reservations are required due to limited parking. Shoupade Park is a historic preservation site featuring two of the nine remaining “Shoupades” designed by Confederate Brigadier General Francis Asbury Shoup during the Civil War.
- Additional info can be found at the Atlanta Preservation Center’s website: atlantapreservationcenter.com/PF_Decennial.
Global Impact Celebration
- When: Saturday, March 16, 9:30 a.m.
- Where: Smyrna First United Methodist Church, 1315 Concord Rd SE, Smyrna, GA
- What: Go to smyrnafumc.org to sign up for a service team to put pinestraw out at Argyle Elementary, make Health Kits for homeless, or work at The Bridges and doing yard work.
- When: Saturday, March 16, 11 a.m.
- Where: Station 1 Hot Wing Cafe, 2755 Lee Rd, Lithia Springs, GA
- What: In Waiting, Inc. has collected new and gently worn formal and special occasion dresses to assist young ladies who would otherwise not be able to attend their Spring Prom. Distribution of donated dresses will occur during the “Prom Boutique”. During the boutique girls can choose from a variety of free dresses, they can participate in skin care/makeup and hair sessions and purchase jewelry from vendors.