Invite a friend
American Studies Open House
Consider adding an interdisciplinary American Studies minor or an MA graduate degree to your expand your future career options.
First of all, what is American Studies?
- The field originated in the 1930s when literature professors wanted to study literature in historical context, and history professors wanted to look at literature, the arts, and popular culture as part of American history.
- American Studies includes anthropological and sociological approaches to understanding American culture. It’s a more holistic way of studying culture.
- Since the 1960s, American Studies has been greatly influenced by ethnic studies (African-American, Native-American, Chicano and Latin-American Studies, Asian-American studies) and Women’s Studies.
- Our program is part of the Interdisciplinary Studies Department at Kennesaw State University that combines all those programs and faculty from all those programs, teach and /or advise theses.
- In the last 20 years, American Studies has broadened its scope to look at the Americas and the U.S. in a global context, and our program reflects that as well including several scholars of Latin-America, Mexico and U.S. immigrant communities.
Regardless of the subject matter of the course you take, you can usually find a way to do projects that fit your own learning goals. All classes build writing and research skills with traditional academic research papers. Many of our faculty are also open to curricular design projects, film and web-based projects, museum-or exhibit-based and service-learning projects.
Interested in learning how to do an Accelerated Bachelor’s/MA program? Want to learn how to have an American Studies minor? Confused about what you need to be accepted into graduate school? Attend one of the American Studies Open Houses scheduled for this spring:
*Feb. 5, 2013 – Social Science Atrium - 4:30 – 6:00 p.m.
*April 3, 2013– Social Science Atrium - 4:30 – 6:00 p.m.
Please RSVP your attendance to email@example.com or by calling678-797-2504. More information can be found on the American Studies web at http://amst.hss.kennesaw.edu or on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/KSUAMST?ref=hl
|Where||1000 Chastain Rd NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144 (KSU - Social Sciences Bldg. Atrium)|
|Next on||This event is over.|
|Time||4:30 pm–6:15 pm|
|Who to bring||College Students|