Patch runs a weekly feature every Thursday called Patch Picks, highlighting editor and reader picks of great local businesses, destinations, services, organizations, ways to spend a day off, and more.
You’ll find useful lists to help you, your family, friends, and significant others find the best places for everything from Sunday brunch to New Year’s Eve celebrations, pumpkin patches, date night destinations, florists, girlfriend nights out, kids party places, parks and more.
Want to suggest a list? Submit your idea in the comment box.
- Camp Acworth is a summer program based out of the Acworth Beach House at . Children ages 6 through 11 can enjoy activities such as arts and crafts, hiking, canoeing, team sports, swimming and more. Eights one-week sessions are offered throughout the summer and camp hours are from 9 a.m.—4 p.m. Extended care hours are also available. Once a session, the children go on a field trip. Registration for 2011 begins March 28 for city residents and non-residents can apply beginning April 4. For more information, please contact Jeff Chase at email@example.com.
- Camp Pine Acres is an overnight Girl Scout Camp fronting Lake Allatoona, near Acworth. This camp is for girls in fourth through tenth grades. Four sessions are available through the month of July. Pine Acres offers a variety of programs for energetic and creative girls focusing on water activities in the lake and pool. The camp also has equestrian facilities for horseback riding and a boat dock. Girls may choose between sleeping in platform tents or cabin accommodations. Registration is going on now. Check out Pine Acres at the open house on May 1 from 2—5 p.m.
- The Ice Forum in Kennesaw is offering a basic skills ice skating camp this summer for children ages 6 and up. Two sessions are offered and dates are June 6 through 10 or July 18 through 22. Each skater participates in a half hour of group instruction, two hours of practice, fun skating time and a basic stretching class. All time is supervised by the skating school director and coaches. The cost is $150 per camp session.
- offers a Classic Day Camp located at the facility in Kennesaw for kids ages 6 through 8. Children will be grouped with 10 to 12 campers of similar age and a caring counselor. Campers will participate in various outdoor and indoor activities and will also swim, climb and use the YMCA gym. Camp hours are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Each session is two weeks and dates range from May31 to July 29. The cost varies based on each session and is between $143 and $223. Register online today.
- Blue Skies Riding Academy offers an equestrian summer camp at their facility in Emerson, Georgia, right outside of Cartersville. Camp activities will include daily riding lessons for beginner through advanced riders, horsemanship lessons, games and crafts as well as a mini horse show and pizza party every Friday. Seven weekly sessions are offered throughout the summer from June 6 to July 30 and camp hours are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m.—3 p.m. The cost is $250 per session for all activities. Riders may add an additional riding lesson for $35 each day. The facility spans over 26 acres with three large pastures, two barns and 20 horses.