Political newcomer Mandi Ballinger of Canton will soon take office as the first state representative in the newly created Georgia House District 23.
The district is new to Cherokee County and covers western Cherokee, ranging from the southwest portion up to north Canton and extending the northwest corner.
Ballinger, 37, has a bachelor of business administration in finance from Kennesaw State University. She and husband Eric Ballinger have one son Henry, 6 and they attend St. Peter Chanel in Roswell.
Ballinger discussed her plans for her new role with Patch.
1. Now that the dust has settled, how do you feel about starting this new position?
I am excited to get to work. Everyone in the (state) house has been very welcoming to me a freshman legislator. I look forward to working with this great group of folks as we move the state forward.
2. What are some of your major goals you'd like to achieve? Are there any issues you want to specifically bring up?
I believe strongly that our tax system needs to be changed and that we need to cut governmental red tape across the board.
3. What challenges do you think you face as an elected official?
I think one of the biggest challenges will be balancing my work at the capitol and my family.
4. What are you looking forward to the most?
Representing Cherokee County in Atlanta and being able to effectively assist in moving the county forward.
5. What do you think are some challenges facing Cherokee County and what can you offer to help navigate those challenges?
There are a myriad of challenges facing Cherokee County. My hope is that by being effective under the Gold Dome, I can help the county and its residents succeed.
6. Are there any smaller, less pressing issues you want to address?
I believe that every issue of importance to my constituents deserves my attention.
7. What do you hope to take away from this experience?
I hope that I was effective for my constituents. I know I will work hard, listen and be a voice for them at the state level.
8. What do you want voters to know about you?
That I am here for them. If they have an issue they would like to discuss, I am available to discuss it with them. I work for all the constituents of the 23rd district.