For the fifth year, Acworth will be the site of a professional wakeboard tournament.
The Board of Aldermen on Thursday night approved a contract with World Sports and Marketing, Inc. to hold Professional Wakeboard Tournament in the city next spring.
The tournament is set to be held at Dallas Landing Park May 16-18, 2013, and the city has designated Cauble Park as an alternative location if Lake Allatoona's levels aren't sufficient for the event.
The event has been held in Acworth from 2006-2008 and again in 2011.
Also at Thursday's meeting, the council presented Dr. Lori Salierno with a proclamation naming Aug. 4, 2012 as Dr. Lori Salierno Day, Celebrate Life International. That was the day that Salierno rode into the stadium at North Cobb High School after , a program in schools that works with at-risk children who are in need of mentoring.
"This is an incredible story," Mayor Tommy Allegood said. "It's about a heart and a passion to make a difference in children's lives."
In her 41 days on the road, Salierno biked through 18 states, averaging 70-100 miles a day. The ride was something she thought would get peoples' attention.
"I thought, maybe if a 52-year-old woman got on a bike and road across the country, maybe we can spark some interest," she said.
And, she did, raising $180,000. When she arrived in Acworth, Allegood met her on a bike and accompanied her the final four miles.
"I love coming home to Acworth, Georgia," she said. "Mayor Allegood is one of the most incredible leaders we have had. It is good to come home, and there is no place like home."
In other business, the board:
- approved a Sunday sales license for beer, wine and liquor for Xcellence Associates, LLC;
- approved the 2012 Fall/Winter newsletter to be posted on the city's website;
- voted to allow Cub Scout Pack 611 to use Dallas Landing Park Oct. 5-7 for its Fall Family Campout;
- voted to allow Lisa Berggren to use Roberts School for Eaglet and EAGLE Junior Golf Classes;
- approved an agreement between the city and The Legacy at Walton Overlook, L.P. for the installation and maintenance of a traffic signal at the intersection of Cowan Road and Spring Street;
- and approved the city's annual agreement with the Municipal Electric Authority of Georgia to market the city's fiscal year 2013 estimated reserve power capacity.